Hey everybody! My name is Scott, and I'm a big fan of the SGU and an aspiring transcriptionist. I look forward to helping get this project ramped up again! I'm also slowly upgrading my regular Wikipedia skills. Here's my userpage over there.
To Do List
- update generic formatting for comments like (laughter) (laughs) and [inaudible] (no capitalizations here)
- select all, copy, paste, find, and replace all [X]: with [X]: to bold all the Rogues' initials in the transcripts, as I have done in my first transcript, SGU Episode 762.
- italicize all the It's time for "Science or Fiction" voiceovers
- create "new noisy" subsections in all the WTN sections
- get admins to add "SoF with a theme" and "What's the Word?" cat. table entries into the episode features subcategory
- Update the QoW collection table, SGU reading list, Favorite Rogues Quotes, University entries, etc.
- merge into or create "Signoff/Announcements" sections or just delete "Announcements" sections if it's just the voiceover Outro
- add wikitionary links to the What's the Word? segments for definitions if it's not good for a wiki link
- add references next to the external links
- add a vocab list like the one in Episode 581
- get admins to move the entries for whole episodes to the end of category topics' lists so that segment redirects can be visible first
- insert my new Episode Skeleton into all the to-be-created episode pages, including the QoW, News Items, SoF Items, and links
- create a sortable table for the SGU episode list: sort by episode number, year, status, maybe even by sof theme/interview/live recording...
- eventually apply my newer skeleton to the older episodes (644 and earlier), ahead of getting to finishing those transcriptions
- make templates that put a hover note over names dear to the Rogues, like their children and spouses
Questions/Issues to consider
- Should Wikilinks be included in the list of SoF items, or only include them in the transcription?
Templates I have made/like to use
- A quick-text template for the publication, "Science-Based Medicine": Template:sbm
- A template for showing a colorful breakdown of the Science or Fiction results, based on a suggestion from user BShirley:
Template:SOFResults is a formatted entry for SoF colored results at the end of each SoF segment.
Template:Episode is the green message box that generates the “Latest Episode”, “Recent Episode” or “Old Episode” message, depending on if the broadcast date is within one week/one year of the current date or not.
- I also created shortcuts for typing in the number date, written month, and download link in the episode infobox:
Template:Date inserts the appropriate two-letter superscript text for the ordinal abbreviation of the date of the month.
Template:Month inserts the appropriate month name text for the numerical abbreviation of the month.
Template:DownloadLink inserts the appropriate broadcast date into the link for the podcast episode.
- And these quick-formatting shortcuts:
Template:10tothe inserts the appropriate superscripted number for the power of ten that is said. It makes it a little bit faster as a quick text than typing 10<sup>number</sup>:
Templates to use for quotes and cultural references
Template:42 creates an in-line link to the Wikipedia subsection about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference to the answer 42. Useful for when you don't feel like typing out/copy-and-pasting the long link.
In both references above you can see in the markup that I used the templates! Clicking the link to the template in this Wiki will show you just how long the markup text being called is!
I apologize for messing around in the main wiki with some of my recent projects. I'll try to work on them here first!