SGU Episode 884
|This episode needs: transcription, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|SGU Episode 884|
|June 18th 2022|
|SGU 883||SGU 885|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|J: Jay Novella|
|E: Evan Bernstein|
|Quote of the Week|
|Science is a search for basic truths about the Universe, a search which develops statements that appear to describe how the Universe works, but which are subject to correction, revision, adjustment, or even outright rejection, upon the presentation of better or conflicting evidence.|
|James Randi, Canadian-American magician and skeptic|
Introduction, JWST Hit, Force Fields
Voice-over: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
The Skeptics' Guide to the Future (5:54)
High School Reunions (7:07)
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Is LaMDA AI Sentient? (11:43)
S: That's actually a really good segue to Jay's item, which is also about--
E: --Sex dolls.
S: --the human acceptance of digital, non-human entities.
AI Influencers (29:43)
S: Jay, tell us about AI influencers.
Kids Don't Get Cancer Because They're Unhappy (52:25)
- Princess Märtha Louise's new fiancé Shaman Durek had his book dropped by publishers in her home country of Norway after claiming 'children get cancer because they're unhappy'
Free Floating Black Hole (1:00:40)
Who's That Noisy? (1:11:27)
New Noisy (1:13:32)
[hissing with rising horn sounds]
Correction & Follow-up #1: Gun Safety Regulation
Science or Fiction (1:32:23)
Theme: Science Misconceptions
Item #1: CO2 is not the greatest cause of recent global warming, but rather shorter-lived molecules such as methane.
Item #2: Most of the energy generated by the sun is not caused by the fusion of hydrogen into helium.
Item #3: The heating up of a spacecraft as it reenters and descends through the atmosphere is not mostly caused by friction, which is only responsible for a small amount of heat, <5%.
|Fiction||co2 and global warming|
|Science||spacecraft reentry and friction|
|Science||sun's energy and h→he fusion|
|Jay||spacecraft reentry and friction|
|Cara||co2 and global warming|
|Bob||sun's energy and h→he fusion|
|Evan||co2 and global warming|
Voice-over: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Steve Explains Item #3
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #1
Skeptical Quote of the Week (1:49:55)
Science is a search for basic truths about the Universe, a search which develops statements that appear to describe how the Universe works, but which are subject to correction, revision, adjustment, or even outright rejection, upon the presentation of better or conflicting evidence.
– James Randi (1928-2020), Canadian-American magician and skeptic
Signoff, SoF Bitterness (1:50:39)
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- Neurologica: Is LaMDA Sentient?
- New Scientist: The rise of computer-generated, artificially intelligent influencers
- Daily Mail: Princess Märtha Louise's new fiancé Shaman Durek had his book dropped by publishers in her home country of Norway after claiming 'children get cancer because they're unhappy'
- Science Daily: Astronomers may have detected a 'dark' free-floating black hole
- AirClim: Carbon dioxide causes 80% of global warming
- Forbes: The Sun's Energy Doesn't Come From Fusing Hydrogen Into Helium (Mostly)
- Wikipedia: Reentry Heating
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]