SGU Episode 876
|This episode needs: transcription, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|SGU Episode 876|
|April 23rd 2022|
|SGU 875||SGU 877|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|J: Jay Novella|
|E: Evan Bernstein|
|Quote of the Week|
|Stupid entropy ruins everything.|
|Jennifer Ouellette, American writer|
Introduction, Bermuda Vacation
Voice-over: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Vaping and Brain Inflammation (10:55)
Projectile Fusion (25:20)
- Nuclear fusion breakthrough: 'Holy grail' of power production closer to reality after UK start-up develops new technique for accelerating fuel at 200 times the speed of sound
Facilitated Communication Still Pseudoscience (41:30)
Gamma Rays and Gravitational Waves (58:56)
AI Emotion Detection (1:10:32)
Who's That Noisy? (1:21:05)
New Noisy (1:24:37)
[in and out puffing sounds similar to heavy breathing]
J: ... If you think you know what this week's Noisy is, or if you heard something cool like the sound that you just heard, then you should just email me very quietly and very sincerely to Who's That Noisy, WTN@theskepticsguide.org. That's all you have to do.
Email #1: Communicating Skepticism
I work at a not-for-profit (https://www.digitalpublicsquare.org/) and one of things we try to create are interventions when it comes to things like public health. In terms of vaccine misinformation, we have a site that offers information in a quiz-like format (https://knowitornot.com/). Now, I know you all have discussed the efficacy of these types of interventions and wanted to know your thoughts. I've heard that sometimes these types of true/false paradigms might not be the best and don’t do well to "vaccinate" folks against mis/disinformation. Personally, I can see how such a paradigm talks down to someone who's deep in the hole, and it might not communicate the "skeptical" mindset. I'm wondering what the Skeptics think of strategies like these, and if there are any particular insights you could offer based on your experiences. Love the show, thanks!
– Wahid Shafique, Toronto
Science or Fiction (1:33:44)
Item #1: There are no native mammals in Bermuda, only introduced species such as mice, rats, and feral cats.
Item #2: There are more than 300 shipwrecks in the waters off Bermuda, making it the shipwreck capital of the world.
Item #3: When Bermuda was first discovered in the 1500s and later settled by Europeans, it had no native or indigenous population.
|Fiction||no native mammals|
|Science||no native population|
|Jay||no native population|
|Cara||no native mammals|
|Bob||no native mammals|
Voice-over: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Steve Explains Item #3
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #1
Skeptical Quote of the Week (1:54:41)
Stupid entropy ruins everything.
– Jennifer Ouellette, American writer
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- NeuroscienceNews.com: Vaping Alters Inflammatory State of Brain, Heart, Lungs, and Colon
- Daily Mail: Nuclear fusion breakthrough: 'Holy grail' of power production closer to reality after UK start-up develops new technique for accelerating fuel at 200 times the speed of sound
- Science-Based Medicine: Facilitated Communication Is Still Pseudoscience
- Gizmodo: Cosmic 'Lighthouses' That Beam Gamma Rays Could Reveal Gravitational Waves All Around Us
- BiometricUpdate.com: Reported AI-based emotion recognition by Zoom irks rights advocates
- Wikipedia: Ecology of Bermuda
- Smithsonian Magazine: Exploring Five of the Most Iconic Wreckage Sites in Bermuda
- Refworld: World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples - Bermuda
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]