SGU Episode 849
|This episode needs: transcription, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|SGU Episode 849|
|October 16th 2021|
|SGU 848||SGU 850|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|J: Jay Novella|
|Quote of the Week|
|-- We’re human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it! We can admit that we’re killers, but we’re not going to kill today. That’s all it takes...knowing that we’re not going to kill today. (from Star Trek Episode 23, A Taste of Armageddon)|
-- I hope I never recover from this. I hope that I can maintain what I feel now. I don’t want to lose it. It’s so, so much larger than me and life. It hasn’t got anything to do with a little green planet, a blue orb; it has to do with the enormity and the quickness and the suddenness of life and death.
|first quote: Captain Kirk|
second: William Shatner
Voice-over: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
COVID-19 Update (1:07)
Shatner in Space (9:30)
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Mass Extinction 30 Million Years Ago (10:59)
Strange Radio Waves (20:36)
Plant Molecular Farming (30:54)
Neurofeedback Headbands (39:43)
Who's That Noisy? (50:51)
New Noisy (55:31)
[resonating whir with intermittent loud and quiet vibrations]
Email/Name That Logical Fallacy (57:06)
_consider_using_block_quotes_for_emails_read_aloud_in_this_segment_ with_reduced_spacing_for_long_chunks –
Interview with Craig Good (1:09:27)
- Relax and Enjoy Your Food: Save your money, your health, and your sanity by separating fact from flapdoodle.
Science or Fiction (1:31:27)
|Fiction||surface water on venus|
|Science||caramel olfactory receptor|
|Science||cosmonauts & brain injury|
|Jay||caramel olfactory receptor|
|Bob||surface water on venus|
|Cara||surface water on venus|
Voice-over: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Item #1: A new analysis finds that Venus likely had surface liquid water 3.8 billion years ago.
Item #2: Researchers have identified an olfactory receptor that is specific to caramel.
Item #3: A new study of 5 Russian cosmonauts with long stays aboard the ISS finds that they have increased markers for brain injury and degeneration.
Steve Explains Item #3
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #1
Skeptical Quotes of the Week (1:43:36)
We’re human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it! We can admit that we’re killers, but we’re not going to kill today. That’s all it takes...knowing that we’re not going to kill today.
– James T. Kirk, Chief of Starfleet Operations, United Federation of Planets (from Star Trek Episode 23, A Taste of Armageddon)
I hope I never recover from this. I hope that I can maintain what I feel now. I don’t want to lose it. It’s so, so much larger than me and life. It hasn’t got anything to do with a little green planet, a blue orb; it has to do with the enormity and the quickness and the suddenness of life and death.
– William Shatner, Canadian actor, after his 2021 flight to space
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to email@example.com. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- ScienceAlert, from Communications Biology: A Grim 'Huge Extinction Event' Happened 30 Million Years Ago, And We Only Just Noticed
- Phys.org, from Astrophysical Journal: Strange radio waves emerge from the direction of the galactic center
- Neurologica: Making Proteins with Plant Molecular Farming
- Neurologica: Neurofeedback Headbands for Stress Reduction
- Nature: Day–night cloud asymmetry prevents early oceans on Venus but not on Earth
- Newswise: "Caramel receptor" identified
- JAMA Neurol: Changes in Blood Biomarkers of Brain Injury and Degeneration Following Long-Duration Spaceflight
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]