SGU Episode 842
|This episode needs: transcription, time stamps, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|SGU Episode 842|
|August 28th 2021|
|SGU 841||SGU 843|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|J: Jay Novella|
|E: Evan Bernstein|
|ES: Eugenie Scott, American physical anthropologist|
|Quote of the Week|
|There are no passengers on spaceship Earth. We are all crew.|
|Marshall McLuhan, Canadian philosopher|
Voice-over: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
COVID-19 Update ()
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Ant Underground Cities ()
Food Allergy Myths ()
White Lady of Union Cemetery ()
Feng-Shui in Australia ()
Who's That Noisy? ()
New Noisy ()
Interview with Eugenie Scott (1:06:03)
Science or Fiction ()
|Fiction||visible laser beam|
|Science||total artificial heart|
|Science||allosaurus a scavenger|
|Bob||visible laser beam|
|Jay||visible laser beam|
|Cara||visible laser beam|
|Evan||visible laser beam|
Voice-over: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Item #1: French scientists have developed a total artificial heart that changes its beating in response to changes in blood pressure and physical activity, with a study patient surviving more than two years with the device.
Item #2: A new analysis of the theropod dinosaur, Allosaurus, the largest meat-eater of its time, concludes that it was likely a scavenger.
Item #3: Physicists have developed a laser beam that is visible even in a vacuum and in the visible light spectrum.
Steve Explains Item #1
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #3
Skeptical Quote of the Week ()
There are no passengers on spaceship Earth. We are all crew.
– Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980), Canadian philosopher
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- CalTech: The science of ants' underground cities
- The Conversation: What You Think of as 'Food Allergy' Might Be Something Else Instead. Here's Why
- Neurologica: The Warrens and the White Lady of Union Cemetery
- Elite Agent: Feng Shui design trends attract Chinese investors in Australian real estate
- Neurologica: Evolution Denial Survey
- University of Louisville: University of Louisville cardiac surgery team second in U.S. to implant new artificial heart
- Ecological Modeling: Carnosaurs as Apex Scavengers: Agent-based simulations reveal possible vulture analogues in late Jurassic Dinosaurs
- [https://idw-online.de/en/news774700 University of Bonn: Physicists make laser beams visible in vacuum ]
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]