SGU Episode 788
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|This episode needs: transcription, time stamps, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
|SGU Episode 788|
|August 15th 2020|
|(brief caption for the episode icon)|
|S: Steven Novella|
B: Bob Novella
C: Cara Santa Maria
E: Evan Bernstein
|Quote of the Week|
To treat your facts with imagination is one thing, but to imagine your facts is another.
John Burroughs, American naturalist and nature essayist
Voiceover: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
COVID-19 Update ()
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
COVID-19 Quackery in Afghanistan ()
The Russian Vaccine ()
CNO Neutrinos ()
TESS Exoplanet Mission ()
Follow Up on Lava Tubes ()
Who's That Noisy? ()
- Answer to last week’s Noisy: _brief_description_perhaps_with_link_
New Noisy ()
Question #1: Benford's Law ()
Steve, pretty please, with cheese and Jay farts, talk about Benford's Law.
— Pepe Smith, Raleigh, NC/Hong Kong
Science or Fiction ()
Voiceover: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Item #1: A new review of dinosaurs closely related to birds finds that powered flight evolved independently at least three times in this group.[v 1]
Item #2: An analysis finds that TSA likely missed 4,600 firearms in carry on luggage for air travel between 2014 and 2019.
Item #3: A comparison of wheat varieties from 1891-2010 finds that modern wheat has as much as 50% more gluten than the older cultivars.
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #1
Steve Explains Item #3
Skeptical Quote of the Week ()
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to email@example.com. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- Undark: In Afghanistan, a Drug Sparks Hope — and Charges of Quackery
- Science-Based Medicine: Russian and Other COVID Vaccines
- First Direct Experimental Evidence of CNO neutrinos
- Space.com: NASA's TESS exoplanet-hunting space telescope wraps up primary mission
- Space Force: Lava Tubes On Mars And The Moon Are So Wide They Can Host Planetary Bases
- Current Biology: Potential for Powered Flight Neared by Most Close Avialan Relatives, but Few Crossed Its Thresholds
- INFORMS: New Research Finds the TSA May Have Missed Thousands of Firearms at Airport Security Checkpoints in 2014-2016
- Lab Manager: Gluten in Wheat: What Has Changed during 120 Years of Breeding?
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]