SGU Episode 804
|This episode needs: transcription, time stamps, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|SGU Episode 804|
|December 5th 2020|
|SGU 803||SGU 805|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|J: Jay Novella|
|Quote of the Week|
|If you think back on all the movies that you’ve ever seen where there are goodies and baddies, you always remember the baddie.|
|David Prowse, English bodybuilder and character actor|
Voiceover: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
COVID-19 Update ()
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Have Archaeologists Found the Home of Jesus? ()
Ancient Seeds ()
Treatment for Progeria ()
Protein Folding ()
ISS Longevity ()
Who's That Noisy? ()
- Answer to last week’s Noisy: _brief_description_perhaps_with_link_
New Noisy ()
_consider_using_block_quotes_for_emails_read_aloud_in_this_segment_ with_reduced_spacing_for_long_chunks –
Name That Logical Fallacy ()
- Slippery Slope
Science or Fiction ()
|Science||cared for animal rights|
Voiceover: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Theme: Adolf Hitler
Item #1: Unscrupulous in amassing power, Hitler was, however, fastidious about personal finances, and had modest personal income and wealth from his government salary.
Item #2: Although there is some debate about how consistent he was, Hitler was a vegetarian based on principles of animal rights.
Item #3: Historians document at least 42 assassination attempts against Hitler, all of which were foiled, failed, or had to be abandoned.
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #1
Steve Explains Item #3
Skeptical Quote of the Week ()
If you think back on all the movies that you’ve ever seen where there are goodies and baddies, you always remember the baddie.
– David Prowse (1935-2020), English bodybuilder and character actor (including Darth Vader)
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to email@example.com. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- Popular Mechanics: Archaeologists Believe They've Unearthed Jesus's Childhood Home
- NewScientist: Extinct date palms grown from 2000-year-old seeds found near Jerusalem
- ScienceNews: The FDA has approved the first drug to treat the rapid-aging disease progeria
- Neurologica: AI Mostly Solves Protein Folding
- ROOM: Russia's Energia says ISS is close to ruin, nation should build its own space station instead
- [url_from_SoF_show_notes publication: title]
- Psychology Today: Was Hitler a Vegetarian? The Nazi Animal Protection Movement
- Sky History: Killing Hitler: The Many Assassination Attempts on Adolf Hitler
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]