SGU Episode 794
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|This episode needs: transcription, time stamps, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
|SGU Episode 794|
|September 26th 2020|
|SGU 793||SGU 795|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|J: Jay Novella|
|E: Evan Bernstein|
|Quote of the Week|
|An informed appraisal of life absolutely requires a full understanding of life’s arena – the universe. By deepening our understanding of the true nature of physical reality, we profoundly reconfigure our sense of ourselves and our experience of the universe.|
|Brian Greene, American theoretical physicist|
Voiceover: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
COVID-19 Update ()
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Better Batteries ()
Perovskite Solar Cells & Better Copper ()
Perception of Time ()
Rewiring the Brain ()
2020 IgNobels ()
Who's That Noisy? ()
- Answer to last week’s Noisy: _brief_description_perhaps_with_link_
New Noisy ()
Science or Fiction ()
|Science||life on venus|
|Bob||life on venus|
|Jay||life on venus|
Voiceover: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Item #1: Researchers have demonstrated the cause of Australian fairy circles – a reaction-diffusion pattern of water dynamics following a mathematical pattern first proposed by Alan Turing.
Item #2: A new analysis finds that the amount of life necessary in the clouds of Venus to produce the phosphine signature is several orders of magnitude less than the biomass in Earth’s clouds, making life a more plausible answer.
Item #3: Scientists have identified the first confirmed “Murder Hornet” nest in Washington state.
Steve Explains Item #1
Steve Explains Item #2
Steve Explains Item #3
Skeptical Quote of the Week ()
An informed appraisal of life absolutely requires a full understanding of life’s arena – the universe. By deepening our understanding of the true nature of physical reality, we profoundly reconfigure our sense of ourselves and our experience of the universe.
– Brian Greene, American theoretical physicist, mathematician, and string theorist.
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to email@example.com. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- Science-Based Medicine: Airborne Transmission of SARS-CoV-2
- Ars Technica: The story of cheaper batteries, from smartphones to Teslas
- Phys.org: New composite material revs up pursuit of advanced electric vehicles
- NatGeo: How you perceive time may depend on your income
- Science Focus: "Third thumb" human augmentation rewires the brain
- Improbable Research: Ig®Nobel Prize Winners
- Science News: Scientists confirm Alan Turing's explanation for Australian fairy circles
- Universe Today: How Much Life Would Be Required to Create the Phosphine Signal on Venus?
- The Patriot-News: First male ‘murder hornet’ has been captured in Washington state: Report
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]