SGU Episode 765
You can use this outline to help structure the transcription. Click "Edit" above to begin.
|This episode needs: transcription, time stamps, formatting, links, 'Today I Learned' list, categories, segment redirects.
Please help out by contributing!
|How to Contribute|
|SGU Episode 765|
|March 7th 2020|
|SGU 764||SGU 766|
|S: Steven Novella|
|B: Bob Novella|
|J: Jay Novella|
|E: Evan Bernstein|
|C: Cara Santa Maria|
|AD: Ann Druyan|
|Quote of the Week|
|The return on investment in global health is tremendous, and the biggest bang for the buck comes from vaccines. Vaccines are among the most successful and cost-effective health investments in history.|
|Seth Berkley, American medical epidemiologist|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 COVID-19 Update ()
- 3 Swindler's List ()
- 4 News Items
- 5 Who's That Noisy? ()
- 6 Interview with Ann Druyan ()
- 7 Science or Fiction ()
- 8 Skeptical Quote of the Week ()
- 9 Signoff/Announcements ()
- 10 Today I Learned
- 11 References
Voiceover: You're listening to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe, your escape to reality.
COVID-19 Update ()
Swindler's List ()
- Tax Scams
(laughs) (laughter) (applause) [inaudible]
Dinosaur Proteins and DNA ()
Wetlands vs. Levees ()
Largest Explosion ()
Who's That Noisy? ()
- Answer to last week’s Noisy: _brief_description_perhaps_with_link_
New Noisy ()
Interview with Ann Druyan ()
Science or Fiction ()
Voiceover: It's time for Science or Fiction.
Item #1: Researchers have developed the first robotic hand prosthetic with finger-level precise control.
Item #2: Engineers have developed a robotic device that can draw blood and even insert catheters into blood vessels automatically.
Item #3: Researchers have developed smart contact lenses that can dynamically adjust their focal length to bring any distance into focus.
Steve Explains Item #1
Steve Explains Item #3
Steve Explains Item #2
Skeptical Quote of the Week ()
The return on investment in global health is tremendous, and the biggest bang for the buck comes from vaccines. Vaccines are among the most successful and cost-effective health investments in history.
– Seth Berkley M.D., medical epidemiologist, CEO of the GAVI Alliance, and a global advocate on the power of vaccines. He is also the founder and former president and CEO of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI).
S: —and until next week, this is your Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.
S: Skeptics' Guide to the Universe is produced by SGU Productions, dedicated to promoting science and critical thinking. For more information, visit us at theskepticsguide.org. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, if you would like to support the show and all the work that we do, go to patreon.com/SkepticsGuide and consider becoming a patron and becoming part of the SGU community. Our listeners and supporters are what make SGU possible.
Today I Learned
- Fact/Description, possibly with an article reference
- Neurologica: A Claim for Dinosaur Proteins and DNA
- Cosmos: Lose the levee and keep the wetlands
- Neurologica: Astronomers Detect Largest Explosion Ever
- WBUR: Cosmos Returns in New Book and National Geographic Series
- University of Michigan: ‘It’s like you have a hand again’: An ultra-precise mind-controlled prosthetic
- Tech Xplore: Robot uses artificial intelligence and imaging to draw blood
- International Business Times: Google's smart contact lens of the future delayed after 2016 trial target deemed near-sighted
- [url_for_TIL publication: title]